- J.D. University of Alabama, 1975
- B.A. Davidson College, Honors, 1972
- Alabama, 1975
U.S. Court Admissions
- Northern District of Alabama
- Southern District of Alabama
- Southern District of Texas
- US Courts of Appeal for 5th and 11th Circuits
- US Supreme Court
Jim wanted to become a lawyer in order to assist clients with resolving problems, which is what he does on a day to day basis. The more novel, complex and seemingly intractable the better. Jim joined the firm in 2000 after he moved to Huntsville. He previously practiced law in Mobile, Alabama with the firm Tully & Philips and accumulated experience in a number of diverse fields of practice, including products liability defense, corporate finance and business taxes and incentives, energy marketing, real property, commercial and construction documentation and litigation.
A natural gas marketing company and a software development company employed Jim as General Counsel and he participated in the first asbestos personal injury cases tried in Alabama. He has managed and participated in litigation or transactions in a number of states. He has served as Issuer or Bond Counsel in connection with the issuance of over $500 million dollars in corporate securities.
Jim has lectured and written professional articles on aspects of complex litigation, real estate contracts, commercial leases and leasehold financing, business taxes and investment management and was an Editor of Real Estate Transactions in Alabama, published by Clark Boardman Callaghan. He is a member of the Alabama State Bar (Sections on Employment and Corporations, Banking and Business Law).
Jim graduated with honors, from Davidson College, where he was a Dana Scholar. He also graduated from the University of Alabama School of Law, where he was a Law Foundation Scholar.
Honors / Achievements:
- AV-Preeminent Attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Graduate – Leadership Huntsville
- Emissary for Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce
- Member and Directory of the Greater Huntsville Rotary Club
- Member of the Sons of the American Revolution
- Member of Monte Sano United Methodist Church
- Member of the Tennessee Valley Scottish Society
- Member of the University of Alabama Alumni Association
“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” – Mark Twain